Join the Tow Center for Quantifying Journalism Conference
The first Tow research conference Quantifying Journalism: Data, Metrics, and Computation is Friday, May 30, 2014 at Columbia Journalism School. Space is still available. Register here.
The day-long conference will include panel discussions, lectures, lightning talks, and the launch of three Tow Center reports. All sessions will be broadcast live starting at 9am (EST) here: http://cuj.tw/1g8MvZU
Send your #towtalk questions via Twitter.
The following is the schedule for the day.
8:30am–9:00am | Breakfast
PANEL | Beyond Clickbait: How are news organizations actually using analytics, and what does It mean for content?
- Caitlin Petre, Tow Fellow
- James Robinson, Director of News Analytics, The New York Times
- Tony Haile, CEO, Chartbeat
- Daniel Mintz, Director of Business Intelligence, Upworthy
TOW REPORT LAUNCH | The Art and Science of Data Journalism
- Alexander Howard, Tow Fellow
11:15am–11:30am | Break
PANEL | Data: What is (and isn’t) it good for?
- Jonathan Stray, Tow Fellow
- Amanda Cox, Graphics Editor, The New York Times
- Dan Gardner, Author and Journalist
- Jen Lowe, Data Scientist, datatelling
- Mark Hansen, Director, David and Helen Gurley Brown Institute for Media Innovation & Professor of Journalism, Columbia University
12:45pm–2:00pm | Lunch
LUNCH TALKS | Reports from Tow Fellows ongoing Tow Research Projects
- Andy Carvin | Broken News
- Brian Abelson and Michael Keller | NewsLynx
- Nicholas Diakopoulos | Data Journalism: Algorithmic Accountability
- Susan E. McGregor | Journalism Security
TALK | The State of Data on Journalism
- Jesse Holcomb, Senior Researcher, Pew Research Center
2:30pm–2:45pm | Break
TOW REPORT LAUNCH | Amateur Footage: A Global Study of User-Generated Content in TV and Online News Output
- Claire Wardle, Tow Fellow
- Sam Dubberley, Tow Fellow
PANEL | Robot Reporters: What new journalistic data gathering tools, such as drones and sensors are on the horizon? and REPORT LAUNCH | Sensors and Journalism and REPORT LAUNCH | Sensors and Journalism
- Fergus Pitt, Tow Fellow
- Scott Klein, Assistant Managing Editor, ProPublica
- Shannon Dosemagen, Co-founder and Executive Director, Public Lab
- Joe Procopio, VP of Product, Automated Insights
- Nabiha Syed, Associate, Levine Sullivan Koch & Schulz